Monday, February 9, 2009

Randi Rhodes is Missing! At Least From Her Radio Show


Image from Gotham City Insider

Since the 2008 election, I've dialed back my attention when it pertains to TV and radio political talk. I've missed several editions of the Sunday morning talk shows. I still watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann and The Rachel Maddow Show, but haven't checked in on what FOX "News" is up to at all, to speak of. And my computer is still tuned to KTLK out of Los Angeles most days, but I no longer pay rapt attention to every host.

With reduced hours, I tend to miss most of Stephanie Miller, I have to turn off Thom Hartmann whenever he has that Indian economist guy on (the accent kills me), and haven't really paid much attention to the new Ron Reagan Show. But I still eagerly anticipate The Randi Rhodes Show. It's a milestone in my day, coming on at noon, and it's the highlight of my listening time because of Randi. I know she's not for everyone, but I just love listening to her take on the news and politics of the day.

But for the last few days, Randi has been AWOL, with very little explanation. She's been replaced by a FOX "News" token "Democratic Strategist" (Nancy Skinner), and the reason why has been elusive. A statement has been released, and some comments have been made on the message board, but the reasons have been conflicting, and not convincing.

This isn't the first time Randi's gone missing. She had some health problems for a while, had a legal battle that took her away sometimes, and had an incident where she passed out and broke her teeth. She also got fired/quit from Air America Radio, giving very similar murky reasons and little information to go on at the time. That's what has me worried, that she's quit or gotten fired.

Encouraging signs are that her show's intro and bumper music has remained, some scripted bits have been played, as well as pre-recorded commercials by Randi that are still airing. And as a long-time fan, I'm used to these unexplained absences from time to time. But I don't much like it, and I don't like that somebody can't at least give us a heads up. We don't need the gory details, just an explanation that Randi will be back--or that she won't. If she won't, what do they have to gain by dragging this out? Two or three more days of ratings? They probably are losing listeners in droves by this point anyway.

[Excerpt]

Where's Randi?

Message boards and blogs were buzzing over the weekend about the whereabouts of Randi Rhodes, who was AWOL from her show last Thursday and Friday. On Thursday, Nancy Skinner was called at the last minute to fill in.

Typically, taking a day or two off is no big deal in radio. Happens all the time. But some are wondering if it has something to do with her syndicator, Nova M Radio. There have been some rumblings that the network was having some financial difficulties, but that's all speculation at this point. . .

Read more at: LTR

I have an update of sorts, here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...