Monday, July 27, 2009

Memories of Summers Past: Cedar Point Roller Coasters

In the summer of 1989, as part of a training program in the amusement industry, I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio. I was a little long in the tooth at the ripe old age of 23 to have a summer job there, but I was 21 Jump Street material until I was about 30, so it didn't matter.

It was mostly a lot of fun, kind of like going to camp, since you have to live on the peninsula to work there. I was assigned to "The Mill Race" flume ride, which was a classic (read: old) ride that had once been called "The Nestea Plunge." I also worked that summer in the kiddie land, the Midway Carousel and sometimes at the water park, Soak City. But by far the best part of the experience was getting to ride any ride we wanted for free. And this was the year they opened Magnum XL-200, which was the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world at the time. Rough estimate, I rode every roller coaster at least 25 times. Here are a couple of first-person experiences for you to enjoy.

Magnum XL-200



The Mean Streak



The Raptor



Thanks to my sister for sending me a clip of The Gemini coaster, which is fun, but not the most exciting experience on video. Still, I've probably ridden Gemini more than any of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...