Friday, July 31, 2009

More AOL Problems: McAfee SecurityCenter


UPDATE (07/31/09): This page continues to get hits, even though it was posted almost two years ago. Since then, I've upgraded from Windows XP to Windows Vista, and then to Windows 7. I'm now using (yes, still using) AOL 9.5, and--amazingly enough--a version of McAfee Anti-Virus. After my six-month-old computer's free virus protection ran out, I installed the Cox Cable version of McAfee for free, and so far: no problems.

I should point out that AOL still has "timeout" periods of frustration, and that I often times will CTRL+ALT+DEL it into oblivion and start over. How AOL is able to monopolize both processors in my Core2Duo, I have no idea. And it should also be noted that when I tried to install the Cox McAfee software on The Other Half's computer (which still has Windows XP), I had the EXACT same problems that are related in the original post below. That still seems to be a potent recipe for disaster.

ORIGINAL POST (8/25/07):

Ah yes, you get what you pay for. AOL has been free for quite a while now, and amazingly, they offer full safety software for free too, from McAfee. Which you'd think would be a great thing.

There have been several versions of this "helpful" software. The first was great, and was pretty much like the ordinary McAfee program. The second one was modified to look like an AOL program, with spiffy new icons. . .and was fraught with problems. On three different computers, I had to revert to the older program just to retain my sanity.

The AOL version had a tendency to try to look for updates. . .over and over and over. . .and each time with a pop-up window that you couldn't ignore or make go away. AOL techs always talked to me like a kindergartner, always starting with basic questions (not quite "is your computer plugged in?" but close). I finally got one to admit to me that it was a McAfee problem that they didn't want publicized. She's the one that gave me a link to the older version of the program.

That version worked fine, but recently, I was told it was expiring, and to be replaced with a new version. So, I downloaded the program, never thinking it would conflict with AOL. After all, the top of the program even says "McAfee SecurityCenter Special Edition for AOL." I've installed the program at home, and at work, and guess what? The firewall software won't let the AOL program connect! Priceless!

Curiously, the newest version of AOL allows you to see their "splash" page before you log in, and that somehow works. The title bar actually said "AOL 9.1 - Connected, Not Signed On." You want to talk infuriating?

But, I have the solution, if you have found this page looking for one. Uninstall the McAfee software, reboot, go to http://safety.aol.com/, only this time pick the custom install instead of automatic, and DO NOT CHECK THE BOX FOR McAFEE FIREWALL! Let Windows manage that, it does a fine job anyway, and you won't get this headache!

UPDATE: It occurred to me that I may be having this trouble because I'm beta-testing the new version of AOL software. It's possible, but previous history with McAfee/AOL make me think probably not. It's also worth pointing out that since AOL became free, perfomance has suffered. Often internet pages that load in seconds in Internet Explorer can take much longer, or not open at all.

"Not Responding" is a very common thing to see popping up in the title bar, sometimes for seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes requiring a restart. I'm just about done with the service, I think.

10 comments:

  1. I finally uninstalled McAfee and everything is back to normal. Looking for replacement anti-virus program....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about this later. Dump McAfee. Get something easy and free like AVG. I haven't had a single problem since I switched, now a couple of months ago. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your not kidding!

    I have similar situation.

    When AOL switched from AOL safety and security to a McAfee for AOL the email and hyperlink led to an uninstallation of the aol safety and security and into AOL VR. Well like you said there was/is a software conflict with me using windows XP and broadband connection to where I have tremendous difficulty logging on. I went to control panel and uninstalled everything to do with AOL then at the AOL reps recommendation I went to walmart to search for a CD to reinstall. I found AOL 9.0 VR and loaded it into my optical drive only to find for an existing user that I was offered two choices, one to pay for a trial dial up access and the other to pay for a trial broadband access. So I was not able to use this disc and went to the AOL web site and downloaded AOL 9.1.

    And like you have experienced it is extremely difficult to connect to my email through the AOL software. I can read my mail 100% of the time with Internet Explorer, or Mozilla Firefox and going to the AOL web page but the software is malfunctioning again.

    I run windows task manager now to see what is happening. After rebooting my computer to have full resources I open the AOL 9.1 software and eneter my password. The AOL software within a few seconds indicates looking for AOL TCP/IP then checking password and during that time becomes unresponsive. Occassioinally it will eventually log on perhaps on the 7th or 8th try but more often it will never log on.

    I get the following error message: The computer was unable to connect to AOl AOL error (AC-0000) Solution: 1)Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on. 2)Repair AOL connectivity. Click the fix it for me button to have AOL automatically correct the problem. 3)Call member services at 800 827 6364. Please have the following information available: Error AC-0000; err 0x9000000 OS WinXP-SP2; ACS 4.8.8.4 TCP/IP Connection IP is operational Firewalls McAfee Personal Firewall; Microsoft Firewall

    When you call AOl and you do not have a paid plan ther is not help. You are on your own. They want your money. They want you to sign up for a plan so you can get them to correct their software issues (incompatability).

    Again I unstalled completely the AOL software version 9.0VR which I was left with after the unistall of AOL Safety and Security. Then I went to the AOL web site and downloaded the latest version of AOL software version 9.1.

    I opened Mcafee firewall and turned the firewall setting all the way down but this made no discernable difference.

    I am having other problems with the AOL software too when I try numerous times to log on and then finally connect. When I click on the news it will load the page with run time errors giving me a choice of whether or not to debug. Usually this happens 4 to 5 times with it finding problems with various lines.

    When I copy the identical URL and load it into IE or Mozilla Firefox there are no run time errors. In learning about run time errors they recommending altering ones virtual memory. Why shoul I have a problem with my virtual memory after a fresh boot with a gig of ram? Also I use msconfig regularly to have minimum consumption of system resources.

    It appears to me that there is a software problem again and this is exasperating.

    I have not tried to uninstall McAfee but if others had this problem or are having this problem I may follow the same path.

    How come placing the firewall on its minimal setting does not allow one to log on smoothly if the McAfee is the problem?

    For others that consider uninstalling the AOL software make sure you know how to restore your PFC files so you can get to read old emails safed on your computer.

    Any thoughts or insights into the problem are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only solution to my problems was to uninstall McAfee altogether. The free AVG anti-virus seems to work fine.

    As for the AOL software, I've just about had it with them. Crashes happen daily, and it takes over the whole computer--something that isn't supposed to be possible in Windows XP. If I didn't like the interface so much, I'd have disposed of it long ago. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes do what they say, uninstall aol's free mccaffe and your aol will work again> Go to control panel, then add remove programs, look for mcCaffe and uninstall. I don't know why but that worked for me. Also you will need new antivirus protection don't forget that part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had been fighting with logging in for months and using the bs webmail and what a mess. I un-installed mcafee and works great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your article.I'm going to try it your way and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same problem with AOL 9.1 free addition...It would not connect. This was after installing it and to log on as existing customer (don't as why). I kept getting message the to reboot, try new location, re-establish connectivity, and all this crap. Anyway this fix: disable all of you virus, spyware, and firewall. I have the McAfee Safety and Security Center that is offered through AOL. Once I did this and try logging on again, no problem. It is kinda weird that the same security software from AOL will prevent you from (and slow you down) logging on to AOL. Another well thought out program....I guess you truly get what you pay for, and many times less

    ReplyDelete
  9. AOL 9.1 - Connected, Not Signed-on has been a problem for me and is getting worse. McAfee was removed months ago and AVG is used for anti-virus. I tried to get it fixed at the computer store but of course it would not act up when they signed on and off and tried to switch screen names. You never know when it will lock up like this. Using task manager will not unlock it so the only solution is to restart the computer. If anyone has this agravating problem figured out please post your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One thing that might work (Anonymous Dec. 10), is to reinstall AOL. Or, even more extreme, REMOVE AOL entirely (after backing up your mail), rebooting, and THEN reinstalling it. That can work wonders. Or, just give you a new quirky problem! :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...