Thursday, October 20, 2011

CBS TV is 60 Years Old

Image from AOLTV
I have to say, this surprises me. It shouldn't, since I know that broadcast television started in the late 1940s, so 1951 sounds about right. But damn, I'm 45 years old. CBS was only 15 when I was born? I Love Lucy debuted on CBS in 1951, and was a hit right out of the gate, meaning that CBS was too.

When I was a kid--when there were still basically three networks and a couple of independent channels--it was ABC that was the network to watch. Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Charlie's Angels. . .CBS didn't make as big of a dent. They were big with shows like Barnaby Jones, The Waltons, Gunsmoke and Cannon. But they started to get a little "hip" factor with The Incredible Hulk, The Dukes of Hazzard, Wonder Woman, Magnum PI, Simon & Simon and Dallas. And who didn't like The Carol Burnett Show? So, happy birthday, CBS, even if you did make too many years of Murder, She Wrote and The King of Queens.

[Excerpt]


CBS Celebrates Eye Logo Anniversary

For 60 years the CBS logo has been watching you watch TV. The iconic eye logo debuted 60 years ago on Oct. 20, 1951 and has been an ever-present fixture on the network. . .

Read more at: AOLTV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...