Saturday, September 8, 2007

Chuck Hagel Retiring from Senate


Photo from source, NYTimes.com

Another "good" Republican is leaving politics. I honestly had to check to see if Hagel was a Republican or Democrat. I couldn't remember, because Hagel to me is just a respected Senator. Now, maybe my impression is deeply flawed. But if he's a rabid partisan, that isn't conveyed on his television appearances.

From my side of the political aisle, any Republican Senator or Congressman retiring from politics presents more of an opportunity to capture that seat for our side. It also spreads Republican efforts that much thinner, making other contentious seats easier to take. But if my good impression of Hagel is correct, and his seat goes to a "bad" Republican. . . I guess we'll have to wait and see.

[Excerpt]

WASHINGTON, Sept. 8 -- Senator Chuck Hagel, the Nebraska Republican and outspoken critic of the Iraq war who had been mulling a run for president, will retire at the end of his term in early 2009 and will not run for the White House, aides said on Saturday. . .

Read the rest at: NYTimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...