Friday, October 12, 2007

Why are Congress' Numbers So Low?

I'm having a little trouble getting inspired to post this evening. I've caught a cold that has been going around, and even had to beg off of a gathering with friends and The Other Half. Blah. Low-grade fever, stuffy head, and all-over ooginess.

Anyway, one thing I wanted to post about was the low approval ratings of Congress. I did a Google search, trying to find a newsworthy item to tie my idea to, but no dice. Not much there today.

So, I'll just wing it. Much has been made of the low approval ratings of the now 9-month old Democratic Congress. Conservatives love it of course, because when the President's own approval ratings are mentioned, they can point to Congress. Hey, it's better than the usual, "but, but, Clinton. . ." Of course, they cannot even do this one thing honestly, and gin up (or rather, down) the numbers. They constantly throw out an 11% number that I can't find anywhere.

My question is, why exactly are the numbers so low? I mean, I understand that Democrats feel like Congress isn't living up to the bargain. But what are the Republicans bitching about? The Republicans in Congress are doing everything that conservative voters want. For that matter, Democrats are (by action or lack of it) also doing everything conservative voters want.

Shouldn't Congress' numbers be hovering around 50% with this scenario? Or are Republicans so partisan-minded that they can't give approval to a Democratic Congress, even when they're getting all that they ask for?

Screen captures from: PollingReport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...