Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nationalism vs. Patriotism

I didn't post a specific Memorial Day post yesterday. Mostly, that is because of the few veterans I know personally, none have died in battle. I do not diminish the veterans who have died in service, I just have no personal reference. So, remembering them is a very symbolic and disconnected feeling that I can't express with any degree of honesty.

I also fall into the same camp as Barack Obama as it applied to the ludicrous flag lapel pin controversy. I find knee-jerk patriotism kinda phony. The flag-waving on FOX "News" typifies this sort of attitude to me. Sean Hannity's constant haranguing of Michelle and Barack Obama's comments would be a good example. This isn't patriotism it is nationalism. The two ain't the same.

What's the difference? Watch this video to find out. Sure, "Dan" is a bit bombastic, and the bad contrast of the video makes it look like he's wearing lipstick. . .but his commentary is solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...