Monday, June 2, 2008

Blogiversary: 1 Year! 25,000 Visits! 2,650 Posts!


Another month done, and for me it represents a full year of writing the Greenlee Gazette. It was Saturday, June 2, 2007, and I happened to be sitting at the computer, reading The Huffington Post. Some inane drivel was on FOX "News" on the office TV (a bad habit), and I was feeling stifled.

Not stifled by my home or work life--nothing like that. It was the nature of politics and the nature of media that was getting me down. I wanted to vent, but I don't want to chew off The Other Half's ear, and it is the rare friend (hello, Denny!) who is willing to let you go on for hours about those things. And then, while reading another blog (I don't remember which one), I noticed a "Start Your Own Blog" link at the top. I clicked it, and here we are.

I started out just venting, posting a few things I'd created years or months before. It was sort of just an online memory book slash diary. And then I started to get readers. And I started to get more interested in the news and politics (oh no, not even more!), and my little idea morphed into sort of a hodge-podge of the things that interest me: politics, news, pop-culture, oddities, memories. . .you name it.

I figured, if these things interest me, maybe they'll interest others too. So after a slow initial month, I started updating the blog more frequently. I sort of settled on an average of seven or so posts per day. Sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes (but rarely) none. I enlisted help from Stupid Monkey Planet for those times when I'm away. And the blog has attracted a steady (if small) following.

I've gotten more than 25,000 entry clicks to the blog since I added the site meter (about 2 weeks after starting the blog). Some quick math shows that is roughly 64 or so clicks per day, but in truth it's more around 100 most of the time (the first few months were slower). This past month was my best for visits, at almost 3,100 clicks. While I'd like to have more readers than that, it's a comfortable number. If I were to get 1,000 or 10,000 per day or more, I think I'd get stage fright!

I intend to keep the blog going for the foreseeable future--at least until after the November election. That will put me at nearly a year and a half, so by that time I'll just have to see if I still find it fulfilling. As of now, there are days that the blog is a chore, but most of the time I'm eager to write. The problem is time. So don't be surprised to see a day or two here and there this summer with slightly less content.

In the meantime, thank you for reading, and as always, bring your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...