Monday, July 23, 2007

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Once More With Feeling!


Photo from IMDB.com

OK, I've made it through 238 posts since I started this blog, and I've yet to post anything related to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Given what a BTVS geek I am, you've got to admire my restraint. So, apropos of nothing,* my first Buffy post. I can't promise that there won't be more.

The musical episode, "Once More, With Feeling!" should have been, could have been a classic "jump the shark" moment. Instead, it was one of the best episodes of the series. It managed to take an established cast, and give them complicated choreography and singing. . .and they were up to the task. Add to that the fact that it made sense in the storyline, advanced the plot for future episodes, was funny and was marvelously entertaining. Joss Whedon (the creator of the show, movie, and writer of the songs) managed to simultaneously pay homage to and parody Broadway musicals, while accomplishing all of the above.

The storyline dealt with a cursed antique that released a demon, Sweet, who causes people to burst into song against their will. He intends to take Buffy's sister to his underground lair, and Buffy won't have it. This clip is an edit of the last few songs of the episode, absent that context. Enjoy.



And because I just can't help it, the best song of the episode (even if Nicholas Brendon's voice isn't quite super), where Anya (an ex-vengeance demon) and Xander sing about their pre-wedding jitters. Just a joy. But then, like I said, I'm a geek.




*UPDATE: It is worth noting, that this post is newsworthy after all! Apparently, there's a trend of Buffy sign-alongs sweeping the country. Who knew?

12/26/07 UPDATE: Sorry folks, but is wont to happen with these clips, FOX has apparently pulled the video. I fail to see why, as all these YouTube clips do is keep interest going in their projects, and raise the profile of their properties. My site has made a whopping 81 cents since it debuted, and I can't even cash that out. I am not putting a dent in Rupert Murdoch's profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...