Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Simpsons Movie: A Review



Loved it. Looovvved it!

The very first Simpsons short aired on FOX's The Tracey Ullman Show on my 21st birthday. I was watching that night, and I've been a rabid fan ever since. In fact, I believe a shared love of all things Simpson probably was key to keeping my relationship with The Other Half going in the early months. After all, when you can each complete the other's every thought with a Simpsons quote, you're obviously meant to be together right?

So after their inauspicious start on a critically lauded but largely ignored variety show, and 18 seasons of their own show (over 400 episodes so far), The Simpsons Movie is finally here. Was it worth the wait? In my best Comic Book Guy voice: Best. Movie. Ever.

OK, that may be overstating it, but it was one of the best TV to movie adaptations, right up there with South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. Maybe better, because this one can be enjoyed by a much larger audience. It's also our first chance to see the Simpson family in wide-screen--a very wide screen! Some people may wish their favorite characters were in it a little more (Patty, Selma, Apu), and there wasn't a way to get Lionel Hutz or Troy McClure in there (sniff), RIP Phil Hartman. Most do appear at least briefly, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Hartman's characters are somewhere in the mob scenes.

In short, they managed to pull it off. The Simpsons Movie is a laugh a minute (several, actually), and probably will require repeated viewings to capture all of the gags. It plays like an especially good (and especially long) episode of the series, but with more grand backgrounds and artistic effects. The movie format also allowed them to go a little further with language, gestures, and yes, brief nudity. Jokes about sexuality, religion, and a doofus President (Arnold Schwarzenegger subbing for W) are also especially pointed, and appreciated.

I saw the film at The Orleans here in Vegas, and I was surprised by the light crowd (for all of the movies)--I'm not sure what that's about. But even so, with only a smattering of people in our theater, the laughter was raucous. It was an unsual feeling to watch The Simpsons with a laugh track!

Stay tuned, I'm going to try to get the Stupid Monkey to write a review as well. I'm sure he'll agree with my review, which is: Highly Recommended

Meanwhile, check this out the boffo box office: HuffingtonPost.com

4 comments:

  1. I think this movie sucks. I didn't go see it, but that was because I was working. But honestly, who would go see such a thing when Alvin and the chipmunks will be out in only 5 more months. One more thing, I hope the popcorn was polly-wolly crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously this commentator does not know his pie-hole from his corn-hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me, that one I have figured out, and am pretty happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...