Monday, February 4, 2008

Behind the Blogger, Pt. 11: Pet Peeves


Part of my mission here at Greenlee Gazette has been to reveal a little of who I am. My mother doesn't understand blogs, and has said "why would I care what anybody else thinks?" Ordinary humans like to interact with others, but OK, Mom, I 'll take your point to a different place. Why would anyone care what I think if they don't know who I am?
So, I began these Behind the Blogger posts, very shortly after I started the blog. In most cases, these posts are just background on a variety of topics. They're part confessional and part soapbox. But what they don't do (with a few minor exceptions) is display any of my negative qualities. One of which is irrational irritability. I'm not always grouchy, but there are certain days or situations where I'm very prone to strings of profanities over very minor things.

But I'm not alone! I've seen the steamed looks at the grocery when somebody gets in the express lane with a full cart. And I know I'm not the only one screaming at other cars from behind my steering wheel. So without further ado. . .

My Top 10 Pet Peeves

1. People who don't drink coffee black - And it doesn't have to be coffee. It can be any beverage that requires stirring. I pour my cup and go. Others (at the store, at work, etc.) commandeer the beverage area, pouring just a bit of this, just a bit of that, and stirring, stirring, stirrrring. Clink clink clink. All I want is to dash in and pour a cup and go. And they stir endlessly, ensuring that all of the molecules and atoms line up perfectly or something.

2. Copy machines - I'm talking about the new ones. They've gone high-tech, and now practically require a three-day course to operate. The feeders fail to recognize paper and paper sizes, and they will not stop if you make a mistake. Press stop, cancel, clear all--it doesn't matter, they keep spewing paper.

3. Windows print spooler -No matter how many times Microsoft revamps the program, the print spooler still sucks. Jobs fail to print, fail to clear, and then remember something you tried to print yesterday. Infuriating.

4. People who drive in the turn lane - Every day without fail, someone charges out of a parking lot into heavy traffic, and pulls into the "oh, shit" lane beside me. But all their chutzpah leaves them at this point, and they refuse to speed up or slow down to merge. Instead, they travel at my speed beside me, pacing me, and making it my decision what to do about it.

5. Silent robo-calls - If I answer the phone, I want a voice on the other end. If it's a robo-call, I will not be pleased, but the silent ones--where no recorded message comes on at all--really piss me off.

6. Mac & Adobe users - Listen, just because you use Adobe Illustrator and PhotoShop on your George Jetson Macintosh does not mean that it's the only way to get the job done. And it also doesn't mean you're a better artist, or smarter, or cooler.

7. AOL mail - Yeah, I know, why use AOL at all? Let's just say that my company does, OK? And my biggest problem with it is printing mail. Nearly every email prints more paper than necessary. Even 1 page documents will print "Page 2 of 1" or even "Page 3 of 1." I think Time-Warner must be in cahoots with the paper mills.

8. People you can't cook for - Anybody from this list: they don't like tomatoes, lima beans, coffee, beer, crusts on their bread, peas, dairy, wheat, nuts, raisins, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, cooked carrots, cooked onions, raw onions. . .you name it. It's annoying. Oh, and I do it too, I don't like liver, seafood or mushrooms. Oh, well.

9. Droopy pants - The fashion statement that just won't die. Anybody who wears their pants several inches below the waistband of their underwear, particularly those who wear them below their butt cheeks. Why? It looks stupid on anybody.

10. Pointless top 10 lists - Maybe Mom was right. Heh.

Previously:
Behind the Blogger, Pt. 10: Cars I've Owned
Behind the Blogger, Pt. 9: A 9/11 Story
Behind the Blogger, Part Eight: The Weight Thing
Behind the Blogger, Part Seven: The Age Thing
Behind the Blogger, Part Six: The Experience Thing
Behind the Blogger, Part Five: The Debt Thing
Behind the Blogger, Part Four: The Politics Thing
Behind the Blogger, Part Three: The Gay Thing
Behind the Blogger, Part Two: The Religion Thing
Behind the Blogger, Part One: The Blog Thing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...