Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Behind the Blogger, Pt. 12: Top 40 2008 Happenings

You ever get one of those email surveys that you're supposed to pass on? Mostly, they just annoy others when you send them along, but hey, I've got a blog, and I can just do it here without annoying anyone! And I haven't run a Behind the Blogger post in a long time, so why not now? So, here we go. . .

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I married The Other Half, in Palm Springs, California. Validity pending. . .
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never seem to remember them the next year. This time it is to continue losing weight until I fit in 31" Levis. I'll do it!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. The Other Half's father, a friend's mom, a friend-of-a-friend's sister, and several friend's pets.
5. What places did you visit?
Columbus, Ohio and several towns and hamlets in Iowa.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A full work schedule, instead of reduced hours. Possibly a new car by the end of the year.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 27, my wedding day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?Again, my marriage.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I made it all the way up to 180 pounds. I'm on the road to recovery, though!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Broke a toe. That's about it.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A great "tiki" table that fits perfectly in a nook in the living room, and opens up into a dining room table. We don't have an official dining room.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends, Mr. & Mrs Stupid Monkey Planet, who responded to reduced work hours by starting their own business. Which is why the Mr. has no time to post here anymore!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The entire Bush Administration; California voters who potentially annulled my marriage.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills. Some gambling (hey, this is Las Vegas). A few toys and treats.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Barack Obama's election.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
That stupid "Bleeding Love" song, that sounds like a disturbed girl who cuts herself because nobody understands her.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier; b) thinner; c) richer (for now!)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sex. It's true what they say about marriage! :)
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Obsessing about politics.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With friends and The Other Half.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
That happened 11 years ago.
22. How many one-night stands?
Not in (just) over 11 years. . .
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Several (but pared down from years past): The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't think I hate anybody.
25. What was the best book you read?
I read several books, but none stands out as spectacular.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That I don't much pay attention to music anymore.
27. What did you want and get this past year?
A 19" HDTV for my office. Oh, and a husband!
28. What did you want and not get this past year?
A new car.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Iron Man.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don't think I did much of anything, really. I turned 42.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The comeuppance and imprisonment of the entire Bush Administration.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Basic and unlikely to look stupid and dated later. Jeans, and simple, basic shirts.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jon Stewart and Bill Maher.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Same-sex marriage and Proposition 8 in California
36. Who did you miss?
My family, especially my sister and her family. My friend Keith in Texas, who I used to be so close to. And those we've lost.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Wow, I should get out more. Can't think of a new person!
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I'm surrounded by fantastic friends and family, who care about me. And despite my tendency to hole up and be "left alone," I should try to connect more.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
"I am what I am, and what I am needs no excuses."
40. Favorite accessory of 2008?
The Other Half!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...