Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Blogger's Lament


The current state of the blogosphere has got me a little bummed. My blog has remained pretty consistent since its inception, a bit politics, a bit frivolity, a bit confessional. And since the November 4, 2008 election, I've even toned down the politics. But the stratospheric heights (for this blog, anyway) of my daily sitemeter have plunged to the point of near irrelevance.

From late spring until November, my daily audience grew and grew, pumping up my ego, and my desire to continue the blog. Since then, the hits have understandably fallen, which was expected. But they've fallen far further than I thought they would, from 350 people or so per day to (sometimes) less than 40 in a given day. That's just depressing.

So, the thought of ending the blog has entered my mind. The problem is, I still enjoy it. And I don't want to stop blogging. But is there any point when it becomes pointless? I guess the blog has never been widely read, and that it serves a purpose only for me. And I know I've got around 20 RSS readers, and others that for one reason or another don't register in my blog hits. But I'm still a little bummed by the low turnout.

Anyway, I'm not ready to give up, and I'm still hoping for that "big idea" that helps me burst through. I intend to keep up the blog through the inauguration, and would like to hit 5,000 posts or two years (whichever comes first) before giving up the ghost. Enough whining though, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...