Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is it OK to Have Fun at a Funeral?


I have returned to Las Vegas after having attended my last funeral for a grandparent in Ohio. Grandma Lillie Belle Greenlee was 94 years old, and lived 17 years after the passing of Grandpa McKinley Roosevelt Greenlee, who died at 92 in 1992. She had a form of dementia that robbed her of her memories, but not of her personality. I don't think there was a single person on the planet who met her who didn't love her.

It was possible for me to get wistful, and briefly emotional, but this funeral was slightly different for me from others I've been to. Grandma lived a long life, but the past decade was unable to enjoy her family and friends. So there was a sort of comfort in knowing that whatever confusion she may have been experiencing has come to an end. Interestingly, the sadness was offset with the experience of being with most of my Dad's side of the family, possibly for the last time.

I'm a child of a very early divorce. Because of this, the paternal side of my family has never been as close as it could have been. But the occasion of the funeral allowed us to reunite, and to visit Grandma's farm one more time. It was rather surreal, and I felt like I was in an indie film, with jump-cuts to the past, and back to the present. I walked through Grandma's house with my cousin Becky, and flashed to the last time I spent the night at Grandma's as an adult: also with Becky. Our reunion was brief, and is unlikely to be repeated, but I had a very good time. Is that OK? I dunno.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...