Friday, September 4, 2009

Newsflash: George H.W. Bush Spoke to the School Children


The crazy idea of the President of the United States of America addressing the nation's school children still has people in a lather. But like every other ridiculous controversy this year, there is little thinking involved. As I posted earlier, Ronald Reagan, patron saint of the Republican Party not only addressed school kids, his really was a political message. George W. Bush was in a classroom on the morning of September 11, 2001, for goodness' sake, in one of his many embarrassing moments.

I'm not sure if Bill Clinton addressed kids in this way, but I wouldn't be surprised. One thing is for sure, George H.W. Bush did, and it's on his official Presidential Library web site. So, when you hear some wingnut say that this sort of thing is unheard of, link them to the following:

[Excerpt]

Remarks to Students and Faculty at Alice Deal Junior High School (1991-10-01)

Thank you, Ms. Mostoller, and thanks for allowing me to visit your classroom to talk to you and all these students, and millions more in classrooms all across the country.
(Ed: emphasis mine).

You know, long before I became President I was a parent. I remember the times that my kids came up with a really tough question or a difficult decision. I tried my best never to shut them down with a quick ``no.'' I would simply say those three magic words that made that problem disappear: ``Ask your Mother.'' [Laughter]

Let me tell you why I've made the trip up from the White House to Alice Deal Junior High. I'm not here to teach a lesson. You already have a very good teacher. I'm not here to tell you what to do or what to think. Maybe you're accustomed to adults talking about you and at you; well, today, I'm here to talk to you and challenge you. Education matters, and what you do today, and what you don't do can change your future. . .



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...