Friday, April 9, 2010

ApplePhobe Takes the Plunge (But Not With iPad)


Image from Apple

I've stated many times here that I'm ApplePhobic (iPhobic?). I've always been a PC, and have encountered far too many haughty, arrogant Cult of Mac adherents. But even I have to admit that Apple's products can be pretty nifty, if a little too precious and a little too pricey. Plus, there's the problem with them aging like cars: once the new version comes out, you're stuck with the old, obsolete one.

Despite all that, I've taken the plunge. Or maybe just stuck my toe in the iWater. I belong to a survey group that gives you points for staying in the program, and I've accumulated enough points now to buy something big from their rewards program. Coincidentally, the number of points I have is just a smidgen over the price of an iPod Nano 5th generation 8GB. I thought about it for a couple of days, and then thought, "why not?" The deal was clinched when I saw that an FM transmitter/caddy/charger can be had for my car for $15 or so on eBay. So that will be my total price for the thing. We'll see if I get infected with iGottaHaveIt for every future iGadget.

For now, I don't know what I'd want with an iPad. I think they're super cool gadgets, really neat-o toys. But I don't see much that is practical there. I'm sure it will evolve, and people will find new indispensable reasons to have one, but right now I don't see it. Especially for a touch-typist like me. If it had a hidden slide-out or fold-out keyboard, I might be on board.

My iPod Nano arrives in 6-8 weeks, so I'm sure I'll do a follow-up after I'm no longer an iVirgin.

[Excerpt]

Why I returned my iPad

Last Saturday at nine in the morning UPS delivered my very first Apple; the new iPad. I had high, in retrospect, unrealistic, expectations. The iPad didn't fulfill them, so I took advantage of the 14-day return policy to ship it and the keyboard dock I bought back to the company for a refund. And I'm not alone. . .

Read more at: WalletPop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...