Thursday, April 8, 2010

Captain Obvious: The Young Turks on Inciting Violence


Captain Obvious is a new feature at Greenlee Gazette, where I get up on my soapbox and opine on issues that should be obvious but for some reason aren't. I'll make an attempt to be brief and pithy, but I have a tendancy to get windy, so please bear with me while I hammer out the format.

I've been having a discussion on and off Facebook with a group called "Right Pride," a gay Republican group in Nevada. In these discussions, members of the group have expressed incredulity that I think conservatives are anti-gay. In response, I simply point to Free Republic, one of the most popular far-right outposts on the web. There, they can find more evidence than they could possibly finish in a week.

But the FReepers don't just have ire for gay people. They're mad about just about everything. And their rage is stoked by actual elected officials. This is one easy to check area that reflects what the base's response is to all of this incitement. I'm not the only one who thinks so. In fact, it should be obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...