Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"Star Wars" LucasFilm Bought By Disney

You know what? I see LucasFilm being bought by Disney as a good thing. Yes, as a liberal, I'm often disturbed by mergers and acquisitions. The board game of Monopoly often seems quaint in a world where the news media is essentially owned by about five people. But in this case, I think it's good.

Image from source.
Let me explain. I'm a comic book/horror/sci-fi fan from my zygote days. I'm a DC Comics, Universal horror, Starlog, Fangoria, Dr. Demento geek from the late 70s-80s-90s-00s-10s. Warner Bros. got Mad Magazine and DC Comics a long, long time ago. And though they've had successes, they've been a bit weak lately. But when Disney acquired Marvel Comics, I think they pretty much ruled the geekiverse. Not that Marvel didn't already have a leg up, but the contrast of successes on the Marvel side to the DC side doesn't even compare.

Now, when we get to Star Wars, we have another rivalry. I'm a Star Trek guy. I loved Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 (retroactively IV, V and VI), but Trek was always where it was at for me. And you know why? Because the Trek universe had Star Trek, Star Trek The Animated Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek Enterprise, and eleven feature films. Star Wars had three movies, three inferior prequel movies, and a whole lot of fan wanking.

But Disney can probably fix that. Hey, they turned a really lame theme ride into a juggernaut called Pirates of the Caribbean. And they got The Muppets too, and turned that into another hit movie. I think you could do worse than to be acquired by Disney.

[Excerpt]

‘Star Wars’ + Disney = Mashup Gold

Disney’s $4 billion purchase of Lucasfilm and planned release for Star Wars Episode 7 has sent the Internet into hyperdrive.. . .

Read more at: Mashable


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...