Friday, July 20, 2007

The Emmys: My Take


Image from Wikipedia
Awards shows really aren't my thing. The Oscars (known humorously as the Gay Superbowl) usually leaves me a little cold. I've usually seen only a handful of the nominees, and have to just go with the flow of what other people like. I'm in the same boat with the various music awards, and know almost nothing about the Tonys. Emmys on the other hand, those I know the nominees for! And so, it is the awards show I have the most interest in.

The Emmy list was revealed today, and I have a few picks, and a few notable laments.

DRAMA SERIES: Boston Legal, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, House, The Sopranos

My pick: Heroes. LOVE it. My dark horse: Boston Legal, though it has gotten to be as quirky as Ally McBeal lately. My lament: no nomination for the superb Battlestar Galactica, and the delightful Eureka. Not to mention the incredible Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip--ratings be damned. My prediction: The Sopranos, a show I never watched and don't care to.

ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES: James Gandolfini, The Sopranos; Hugh Laurie, House; Denis Leary, Rescue Me; James Spader, Boston Legal; Kiefer Sutherland, 24

My pick: James Spader, funny as hell. My dark horse: Hugh Laurie, who I've loved since Black Adder. My lament: no noms for Colin Ferguson of Eureka, nor for any of the guys on Battlestar Galactica. My prediction: James Gandolfini (who cares).

ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES: Patricia Arquette, Medium; Minnie Driver, The Riches; Edie Falco, The Sopranos; Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters; Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit; Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

My pick: Patricia Arquette, who is the most natural actress on television. My dark horse: Mariska Hargitay, who is nearly at the same level. My lament: Evangeline Lilly should have been up for Lost. My prediction: Edie Falco. I love her, but this show is just overexposed. She should have won for OZ.

COMEDY SERIES: Entourage, The Office, 30 Rock, Two and a Half Men, Ugly Betty

My pick: The Office, hands down. My dark horse: Two and a Half Men, which is crass, vulgar, overly sitcomy, but funny as hell. My lament: The Class, which was cancelled too soon, and My Name is Earl, which never fails to provoke a belly-laugh. My prediction: 30 Rock, which is fine, because it is the most improved comedy of the year, and I absolutely love Tina Fey.

ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock; Steve Carell, The Office; Ricky Gervais, Extras; Tony Shalhoub, Monk; Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

My pick: Alec Baldwin, who (despite his possible real-life failings) is superb in anything he does. My dark horse: Charlie Sheen, who proved his comic mettle in Hot Shots! My lament: no nom for Jason Lee for My Name is Earl. He was robbed (and Joy will get revenge!). My prediction: Steve Carell, since he is the flavor of the month, but it's OK, since he really is a talented (and seemingly nice) guy.

ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES: America Ferrera, Ugly Betty; Tina Fey, 30 Rock; Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives; Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine; Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

My pick: Tina Fey. Brilliant. Pretty. Funny. What more do you need? My dark horse: Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I've been a fan since SNL, and no matter what she's in, she'll make you laugh. My lament: Any of the ladies on The Class were worthy, but nobody knows who they are. My prediction: America Ferrera, because I don't watch her show.

Those are the major categories, and to go on would make this post far too lengthy. It will be interesting to see how my predictions are borne out. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...