Friday, July 6, 2007

Guilty Pleasures: Xanadu



Illustration from source, Towleroad.com
OK, we're back to the odd things I like. Xanadu, starring Olivia Newton-John. Yeah, it's cheesy, and at times relentlessly stupid. But for some reason, I just dig it. That said, I had no idea it was a Broadway musical. I'm not sure if I can wrap my brain around that.

Kenneth Walsh (of Kenneth in the 212) is filling in for blogger extrordinaire Andy Towle this week at Towleroad.com, and has this review: Xanadu: On Broadway (Seriously).

And since I can't mention Xanadu without running a clip of it, here you go!






Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

  1. I get the whole guilty pleasure of Xanadu. I really do. There are some endlessly hummable tunes, and well Olivia Newton John was nothing but drool-worthy. (I went to school with one of her nieces, how cool was I?)

    But the thing that pains me everytime I see that particular clip is Gene Kelly on roller skates. It's one of the ultimate cinematic pantsings in movie history. It's like. . . "I was the star of An American in Paris. I was the star of Singing in the Rain. Now watch me clutch the last vestiges of my dignity on roller skates.

    I really can dig the whole Xanadu thing, but why hurt Gene?

    Anyhoo, that's my very playful .02 worth.

    Peace,

    --D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I played the clip for The Other Half, and I said, "watch right here, where Gene Kelly embarrasses himself!" Clap! Clap! Whoa!

    Unfortunately, I can't edit the clip, as I got it from YouTube, but the Gene Kelly scene is just part of the cheese factor, I guess. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...