Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Status Update: Mormons!


One of the many homoerotic Mormon paintings (maybe that's how they hook you?) from MormonMatters.org

I'm off work on Fridays these days, due to the economy. And before you blame President Obama, note that these mandatory three-day weekends began in August 2008. This after a business downturn for at least 8 months, probably more. On the bright side--hey!--three-day weekends! Which makes Thursday my "Friday", and sometimes leads to too much revelry on Thursday night.

Such it was last evening, and so I have little to show on the blog for Friday. Here it is, a little after noon, and I'm writing my first post. In fact, I'm still in my PJs, still drinking coffee, watching The Mormons, part 3 on PBS. Well, on my DVR actually. It's very interesting stuff. I'm an avid fan of history, especially the stuff that is borderline secretive. I'm still flabbergasted that a religion that to my eyes is absolutely false and bizarre could have grown to such a massive institution. How does such a crazy story catch on?

After watching a bunch of this story, I'm still not sure I understand that. I've read a portion of the Book of Mormon, and found it not only inscrutable, but also terrible writing. And why in the world was it written in the style of the King James version of the Holy Bible? Did Joseph Smith not know that the Bible was only written in that style because of the time and place it was translated? All religions are inherently ridiculous to the uninitiated, I know. But Mormonism is probably second only to Scientology in its obvious fraudulence. Just this heathen's opinion, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain I won't be getting much of value or interest done today. We will see. Meanwhile, have a good start to your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...