Thursday, July 5, 2007

Is it Hot, or is it Just Me?


Public Domain Photo, Flames & Melting by Jamie

Whew! Having an open air Jeep was always one of my dreams, and ordinarily I love it, but. . . Oh. My. God. Even with the bikini top on (the Jeep's top, not mine!), I think I lost 5 pounds just in sweat. I had to go out for a bit, and before I did, I put my trusty 1950s Honeywell thermometer out on the patio (in the shade). It can read up to 110° 120° (my mistake), and by the time I got back, that needle was pegged.

So, I called the Channel 8 time & temperature lady/man/machine thingy (it changes from female to male in mid-O'clock). She/he/it says it's 120°. AOL/Weather Channel says it is 113°, but it feels like 104°! My sweaty ass, it does.

Our ABC affiliate said yesterday that the hottest temperature on record for Las Vegas ever was 117°. TINFOIL HAT ALERT: Uh-huh, sure it was. That's just what you tell the tourists. I've been here for 13 years, and I can tell the difference between 100° and 110°, and let me tell you it is noticeable. So imagine the extra ten on top. You just know.

What the heck is AUGUST going to be like in this valley? Damn. I don't know if this has anything to do with Al Gore's theories, but I think I'm going to start paying more attention.

2 comments:

  1. I drove across the Mojave once and it was 115 degrees. When I got out of the car, I thought literally that my lungs were going to incinerate. I couldn't even be outside for more than 2 minutes. I have no idea how you can survive in that climate.

    And, by the way, these aren't Al Gore's theories. Al Gore isn't a scientist. He's just the messenger taking the message from the scientists to the rest of us so that we can understand it. :) No way to know if your current heat wave is due to global warming, but common sense would dictate that as the planet warms, there will more such heatwaves, droughts, etc. Time to act is now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heatwave schmeatwave! This is the worst summer on record for Dallas. We had a record breaking rainfall total for the month of June in DFW and the weatherman last night said we are already 16.7 inches above normal with more expected. With the average temp at 82 and the onslaught of rain, I have yet to be able to enjoy a weekend of margaritas and frivolity in my POOL! Gah!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...