Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Samsung Transform Phone Update: Trouble in Paradise

Image of Sprint Samsung Transform from Engadget
So, I'm loving my new phone. I spent all weekend with The Other Half and friends up at Mt. Charleston, and since it was the only internet (or media of any kind) accessible, I got to know my Samsung Transform. I got to know its slide-out and its on-screen QWERTY keyboards. I discovered the cute little emoticon button, and the dedicated ".com" button. Pretty nifty. I discovered Angry Birds, and downloaded soundboards for The Simpsons, Pee Wee Herman, Family Guy and. . .farts. I discovered that the battery runs down fairly quickly if going all media-using. I tried my hand at mobile blogging, but with no news source other than the phone, I wasn't very motivated to blog.

Overall, I'm really digging it. I thought that buying something other than an iPhone would feel "less than," like every other phone I've had. But right next to my friend's Apple product, mine measured up pretty well. Plus, I get the keyboard! The Android Marketplace is extremely easy to use, and there are copious apps available. There are things to get used to, like sliding an on-screen button across the screen to answer or hang up the phone. It is a little too easy to accidentally dial somebody if you're editing your contacts, and a little too difficult to hang up in a panic. The connection strength and speed of operation is as vulnerable as any other phone, though I've got to say, the ability to effortlessly join a mobile network really helps with the speed issue. The sound quality is great, though to be honest, talking on the phone has been the thing I've done least so far. And already I've had one dropped call. Oops.

My test sample is too small to know if that dropped call is an indicator of anything yet. But I did have a minor issue with major ramifications. When we dumped The Other Half's phonebook into my new phone (my old phone having drowned in the washing machine), his cell phone number retained its original formatting from three phones ago. It only ever had seven digits, with no area code. So, the first time I texted him, it bounced back with an error saying that it needed a 10-digit number. Okay, no big deal. I just went into the phone book, and added the 702. Voila! Or not. Every text to him--unless I typed all 10 digits each time--bounced back with the same error.

So, I tried editing the entry. I tried deleting and reentering the entry. I tried searching the Googles for a cure. I called Sprint customer service. No dice. It was the same issue, no matter what I tried. Ultimately, I took my new phone, and TOH's old phone to the Sprint store. After waiting for over half an hour, I was finally waited on. The sort of surly attendant (dude, you work in a Sprint store, not a Genius Bar) said I could leave the phone overnight, or he could do a hard restore, which would wipe out everything I've done to the phone, but retain my phone book. Fine with me. I can get the Angry Birds and the fart sounds back! So that's what we did. I made sure the texting worked, and left the store. I've spent most of my time since then editing my phone book (which was loaded with numbers important to TOH but not to me), and restoring some of the settings I liked.

All in all, since the issue has been resolved, I'm still pleased. Assuming there are no other glitches or hurdles to jump, I think it's going to be a decent two years. I'm sure that during that time, Apple will release iPhones 5, 6 and maybe 7. Android will have grown up to "Jujyfruit" or "Key Lime Pie" (all of their release names are desserts), and who knows, Sprint may have been absorbed by another corporate merger.  And cell phones themselves may have made another quantum leap that makes this phone look like a klunky antique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...