Sunday, May 15, 2011

Are All Religions Equally Crazy?

"Excuse me, miss. I'm Adam. Have you seen a guy
named Steve anywhere?" Image from AlterNet
Good morning! Why aren't you in church? I'm kidding. outside of funerals and weddings, I haven't been to church since ninth grade. See, I had the good timing to be taking weekly confirmation classes at a Lutheran church during about exactly the same time when I was a) recognizing my sexuality and b) taking freshman earth science. The intersection of these three things combined to form a hell of a lot of internal dialog, as you might imagine. Mostly what it inspired was a whole bunch of "outside the box" thinking.

Long story short, I did not get "confirmed" into the Lutheran faith along with my friends, because I didn't believe what I was being taught. It quite simply struck me as absurd. And I wasn't going to play along to get along. "Faking it" seemed a worse "sin" than actual disbelief. And any worry about sin quickly faded after that.

The wacky things that threw me off the faith path were mostly in Genesis and Leviticus. There's stuff in there that even the most literal fundamentalist can't really believe. But most of us have heard the standard Christian (and by extension, Jewish) stuff for so long, even the loopiest stuff starts to seem normal, or at least we don't think about it much. But to an outsider, just how crazy do virgin births and 900-year-old people sound? Exactly.

[Excerpt]

Are All Religions Equally Crazy?

Does any religion make more sense than any other?



Atheists, by definition, don't think any religion has any reasonable likelihood of being true. And yet, for some weird reason, we're often asked to choose between them. Believers often accuse us of ignoring more moderate and progressive religions while we trash the low-hanging fruit of hard-line fundamentalism. . .

Read more at: AlterNet
 
Thanks to StupidMonkeyPlanet for the link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...