Friday, November 4, 2011

Captain Obvious: Pat Buchanan is Offensive

There is currently a drive on the left to get Patrick J. Buchanan--or as Rachel Maddow used to call him, "Uncle Pat"--booted off of MSNBC, where he is a contributor. My question is, what took so long? Pat Buchanan has always been offensive. He's a xenophobic, homophobic, racist, and he demonstrates those traits almost every time he opines about something.

My own personal story about Pat Buchanan is set in 1992. Previously in my voting career, I'd voted for Ronald Reagan in 1984, and George H.W. Bush in 1988.  But not in '92. That year, one of the main speeches at the Republican National Convention was Buchanan. He gave a nasty, negative, anti-gay speech that turned me off, and it was not denounced by the party or by Bush. Add to that having seen Bush on Pat Robetson's The 700 Club, yukking it up with the other offensive Pat, and the deal was sealed. I voted for Bill Clinton. Lots of other people did too.


I don't understand why Buchanan manages to secure regular employment at MSNBC any more than I understand why anyone listens to what he has to say. But I could say that about a list of pundits and commentators that would take me the rest of the day to type.


[Excerpt]

Buchanan Has Repeatedly Made Offensive Comments On MSNBC's Airwaves

MSNBC political analyst Pat Buchanan has a long history of bigoted commentary in his books, columns, speeches, memos, and media appearances. Here are a few of his worst moments on MSNBC.




Read more at: Media Matters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...