Friday, October 5, 2012

History Lesson on Presidential Debates and Winners

As I said, I got slammed with work, so my posts have been short, even if my choices have been entertaining. Now, I'm going to throw you something entertaining and educational. Did you know there have only now been seven televised first debates for incumbent presidents? It's true, they only go back as far as the Ford/Carter debate of 1976, which was marred by technical difficulties.

What I like about this clip from The Rachel Maddow Show is that--contrary to right-wing critics' expectations--Rachel makes no effort to spin President Obama's debate performance as anything other than a loss. What she does is put the debate itself into a historical perspective: the challenger to almost all modern incumbent presidents win in the first debate. But how many go on to win the election? Watch the clip below to find out.


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...