Sunday, May 17, 2009

Notre Dame, President Obama and Controversy


Image from Obama-Zone

I usually pay pretty close attention to the news, since I use the topics of the day for blog fodder. But one issue has slipped by me. I'd heard about some sort of controversy over Notre Dame, and an issue with giving President Obama an honorary degree. But it didn't trip my trigger for stories that interest me.

But the story continues to percolate, and I wanted to figure out, what's all the hubbub, bub?

So I guess Notre Dame, being a Catholic university, is all up in a lather about Obama for his stance on abortion rights. But see, I'm not Catholic. . .I'm not even religious. . .shoot, I'm very nearly anti-religious. And abortion has never even hit my top 10 of "important political issues." So I have to turn to another (better) blogger to explain it all. And it's pretty good too.

I had to figure that if religion was involved, there was more than a dab of hypocrisy in there too. I was at least right about that.

[Excerpt]

The Hypocrisy At Notre Dame

All week long the media has been trumpeting a controversy that barely deserves mentioning. When President Obama gives the commencement speech tomorrow at Notre Dame, he will be following five previous presidents to do so. In addition, he will be the eighth president to be awarded an honorary degree.

The controversy stems from the fact that Obama’s pro-choice position is in conflict with the University’s Catholic principles. However, neither the Catholic protesters nor the media ever threw similar tantrums when George W. Bush
delivered the commencement speech in 2001, after receiving his honorary degree. . .

Read more at: News Corpse


1 comment:

  1. I am pro-life but believe that he had the right to speak at the school.

    There is no different set of rules for the president than there is for the common citizen in this regard. Many people who support abortion have stepped foot on campus and you can be sure that they've had debates in the classroom. It is a college university after all.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...