Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fall TV Season: V (I Can't Wait!)


Image from EW

I got excited for the remake of Bionic Woman, and was let down. I watched with zero expectations when they remade Knight Rider, and had that zero met. I got really excited about the Terminator series, and was rewarded with one-and-a-half seasons of great TV, only to have it yanked away.

So you would think that when I heard that V, the classic science fiction TV mini-series/series from the eighties, was coming back to television, I'd be wary. And I am. But I'm also excited. V and V: The Final Battle were two of the most enjoyable events in sci-fi TV for me when they originally aired. The follow-up series only lasted a year, probably due to low budgets and the dreary story-telling of dramas of that era.

But the underlying storyline of all of them was compelling, and could be dynamite if done correctly. V started with a fleet of huge motherships arriving from outer space (ripped off later in Independence Day), containing a contingent of aliens promising help for all that ailed the human race. They were greeted warmly by the populace, and seemed on the surface to be all that they said. "The Visitors are our Friends," was their propaganda message, and it hid their true motives: to enslave and/or eat us all! Oh, and to steal our water.

Top that off with the fact that they were lizards under their (unconvincing in retrospect) human skins, and ate live rodents whole, and you got a whole 'nother level of creepy. The cast was great, with the evil Diana (Jane Badler), the good alien Willie (Robert Englund), the leaders of the resistance Mike (Marc Singer) and Juliette (Faye Grant). While modern special effects can fix the flaws of the 80s series, I don't know if they'll be able to match the cast. But I'll be watching, that I'm sure of.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...