Sunday, August 1, 2010

Movie Review: Sex Drive

Image from Wikipedia.com
I'm not exactly the teenage sex comedy target audience.  So what the heck was I doing watching Sex Drive (Unrated Edition)?  Well, it has Seth Green (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Robot Chicken) in it.  I figure if he'd be in it, it might just be worthwhile.  But it could just be crap. Which is it? A little from column A and a little from column B.

The unrated version features a funny intro by the producer/writers, reading (intentionally badly) a disclaimer about the film.  They warn us to watch the theatrical version, and only to come back for the unrated stuff later. The reason is quickly apparent.  This is more than a "director's cut." It includes footage usually saved for the special features of the DVD: improvs, throwaway jokes, cutups from the cast, sequential takes, the lot.  But since I doubt I'll watch the film twice, I'm glad I got to see this version.  It kind of plays like a live-action cartoon.

It is difficult to make an intentionally stupid movie, and still make it funny. But this one ain't half bad.  It's surely better than Fear Dot Com, which I watched and reviewed earlier today.  The acting is decent, the story is serviceable, and some of the jokes actually made me laugh out loud.  Most surprising, there were assorted storylines that weren't forgotten at the end. They managed to tie up things they could have just written off, and a couple of them were actually surprising (and funny). Where Fear Dot Com was merely pointless, Sex Drive is pointless fun.

Recommendation: Turn your brain off and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...