Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD, the Battle Continues


Image from source, AVRev.com

I have a reputation as something of a techie among my friends and family, and I get asked all the time, "which is better, Blu-Ray or HD DVD?" I then have to bashfully admit that I don't know. I'm still hedging my bets on an affordable combo player that will play both formats and my old DVDs. I've gotten burned before, and am not ready to go through it all again.

I used to have a fairly impressive library of VHS tapes, having wisely opted for that format over the Sony Betamax. Later, when LaserDisc players became more affordable, I began replacing my favorite titles with LaserDiscs. For those to young to remember, LaserDiscs were essentially 12" DVDs, but you needed up to 6 platters (both sides) for high quality and special features.

Anyway, after I'd amassed a considerable collection of LaserDiscs, my player pooped out. At the time, I was financially strapped, and never got around to getting in fixed. DVD players rode to the rescue, when the player became affordable, and the format hit critical mass. That was about 10 years ago, and since then, I've purchased or been given about 300 DVDs.

Enough! I'm not replacing them again! I want a player that will play my collection, and Blu-Ray, and HD DVDs! Because by the time this all plays out, we'll probably be getting all of our movies digitally--with no tangible media.

[Excerpt]

HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Upon the release of recent news on Warner Bros. shifting its HD home video support from both formats to only Blu-ray, many of the mainstream media outlets quickly jumped to the conclusion that “the HD format war was over.” The idea of the format war being over couldn’t be further from the truth, although Sony’s Blu-ray is without question picking up supporters. . .

Read more at: AVRev.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...