Saturday, March 22, 2008

I'm an Al Franken Fan. Here's Why.


Photo from Al Franken's campaign website

I don't and have never lived in Minnesota. I've never even visited the Sen. Larry Craig Memorial Restroom in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport. But I really want Al Franken to become a US Senator from Minnesota. Sure, he's a comedian. That could be a strike against him, but it is one of my top five reasons for wanting him in there!

I loved his writing and appearances on Saturday Night Live, as well as his books Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot (and Other Observations), Lies (and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them), and The Truth (With Jokes). These books, while funny, were fairly in-depth political works with highly intelligent arguments. He parlayed that experience into a radio talk show, first called The O'Franken Factor (to enrage Bill O'Reilly). The show ran for two years, was very informative, and introduced me to (frequent guests) David Sirota, Howard Fineman, David Brock and Jonathan Alter among many others.

Minnesota, in other words, would not be voting for Carrot Top here. They'd get a smart, informed, and yes funny guy who isn't afraid to ask questions, challenge the conventional wisdom, and surround himself with other smart people. And C-SPAN would be a lot more fun. Plus, that Norm Coleman gives me the creeps.

Now, a little evidence to support my endorsement:




#1 - Al discussing where Rush Limbaugh gets his "facts."
#2 - Al drawing the 48 lower states freehand. Can Norm Coleman do that?
#3 - A lame Norm Coleman ad, taking a career comedian's jokes and quotes out of context.
#4 - An Al Franken campaign commercial.

I wanted to include a clip or two from Saturday Night Live or the short-lived (but hilarious) LateLine. Maybe for a future post, after I track some clips down. Meanwhile Go, Al, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...