Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Message From the Heartland


Hey, this is your usual blog editor here, reporting from Iowa. The funeral and related family gathering events for The Other Half's father have mostly concluded. Up til now, there has been no time to blog, and it doesn't look like today is going to be any better until I get home this evening.

The event itself was most informative for this non-Catholic. First of all, the respect and admiration of his dad was enormous, and the outpouring of love quite remarkable. Also, the number of mourners was just amazing. If I gather a tenth of that number at my own passing, I'd consider myself quite lucky. I also got to absorb a bit of knowledge that I've never had about the ritual and tradition of that religion--all of which is quite fascinating.

It has been a learning experience, as well as an emotional one. The Other Half's family is such a collection of wonderful people, it would be impossible not to feel badly for them when they're feeling badly. And I'll miss his dad as well. I didn't get to know him as well as the rest of those gathered, but I had much the same assessment of him as all those I heard speak. A really terrific guy. Rest in peace, Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...