Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sorry I Missed It: Bill Maher vs. Ann Coulter


Image from source, New York Times

One of life's imponderable conundrums for me is the fact that Bill Maher is friends with Ann Coulter. I simply can't square it. The article below tries to put them in the same category, if from different ends of the political spectrum. But the equation doesn't hold. Both may love to provoke people, but Ann lives to provoke for provocation's sake. Maher seems to actually be trying to make a difference.

I'm a fan and admirer of Maher's, though I agree with some of his stances (religion) and am ambivalent to others (PETA). I think that Maher passionately believes in his stances on both, and on other issues. I don't believe that Coulter does. I think she's just as happy with FReepers wanking at her every utterance, or when Keith Olbermann calls her "Coultergeist." She wants to sell books, and remain in the public eye, and anything she does--no matter how vile--is a means to that end. I don't feel the same way about Maher.

Perhaps Annie is just a completely different person behind the scenes. Or with Maher, maybe she enjoys the kind of relationship that Mary Matalin and James Caville share. Or, maybe he sees her as a useful foil, a way to keep tabs on "the other side." I know that I tend to listen to conservative talk and pay attention to FOX "News" so that I can do "opposition research." Maybe that's what Ann provides for Bill. Or, maybe she's just really good in the sack, or can score some good weed. Who knows?

[Excerpt]

At Radio City, a Showdown Between Maher and Coulter

Tucked into an angular lounge chair in an Art Deco suite above Radio City Music Hall on Monday evening, Ann Coulter, the conservative author, was awaiting her would-be adversary, the liberal comedian Bill Maher. She and Mr. Maher had agreed to face off in a series of debates over the next three nights, and Ms. Coulter was concerned that their material might go stale from repeated performances. . .

Read more at: New York Times


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...