Sunday, November 21, 2010

Consumer Alert: Maytag Ice2O (Belated)

Back in 2006, I managed to finally claw myself out of an enormous pile of debt. Due to a combination of a ridiculous relationship I had with a money-grubbing gambling addict, and an unfortunately timed career meltdown (in which a principle executive embezzled $2 million dollars), I found myself indebted to credit card companies to the tune of $30,000. But in 2006, I was paid off. And then, my employers gave me a bonus that put me way into the black. So, as a congratulatory gift to myself, I bought a Maytag Ice2O refrigerator.

We'd had a standard issue, bargain basement Kenmore refrigerator previously. It was perfectly serviceable, but boring and smallish. We still have it in the garage for sodas and beer, and it's hanging in there admirably. But the Maytag Ice2O is a big, black monolith, huge and impressive. I love its deli tray, a full-width, slide-out drawer. I love the bottom freezer, which can hold two turkeys and tons of other goodies. I'm not as impressed with the amount of room that the freezer unit takes up in the fridge, but I love having the "French door," right there in front of you fridge section. 

But it isn't all wine and roses. From the first week, we had problems. Suddenly--a week into ownership--the water dispenser stopped working.  We'd never had water and ice through the door before, so this was a big feature for us.  I called the Maytag repairman, who showed up, but wasn't amused by my jokes about the fabled commercials.  The repairman took the fridge apart inside, taking all the panels off, using a heat gun. . .nothing worked. He left, telling me he'd have to talk to headquarters.

After he left, I got the brilliant idea to take all the food out to the garage refrigerator, and turn the thing off for a few hours. After I turned it back on, VOILA! The water worked again! Thinking the problem was solved, I called Maytag, and said it was fixed. Little did I know, the problem would return two months later.  I tried the same trick again, and it worked again. For a couple of weeks. Then, I tried it again, and it worked again, briefer this time.

Eventually, we tired of the effort.  We now have a filtered pitcher for water, and only rely upon the "through the door" access for ice.  I offer up this testimonial only for others who may have the same problem, or are considering buying a new or used Ice2O. I have an extended warranty for my refrigerator, and probably should look into it fast to see if there is a fix.  Buyer beware.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm, beer. Yum. I drink domestic myself and have an extra fridge to put it.
    Notice how the appliances always work for the appliance repair people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the line is freezing up. That is why turning it off and on worked. What is probably wrong is there is a tiny heater that heats the line to prevent freeze up. It is really tiny. Mom and Dad's old refrigerator stopped working because of a similar issue. It cost 70 bucks and Dad and I 45 minutes to fix it. Mom knows a trouble shooting website. It diagnosed the problem and we got the part for this 20 year old thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. Well, it it's a tiny heater, Maytag sure didn't seem to know about it. I'd love to know the site, so I can fix it myself.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...