Monday, November 22, 2010

What Happens in Vegas: The Marina Hotel Still Exists at MGM Grand

Image from Gaming for Gold
I've lived in Las Vegas for close to 16 years now, but I never knew this. I got lost in a Wiki-hole Sunday evening, reading about the MGM Grand fire of 1980, which was 30 years ago Sunday (thanks, Dan). I started reading various stories about strip properties, curious about what used to stand where the big resorts are today. It turns out, not only did the Marina Hotel used to stand at the corner of Tropicana and Las Vegas Boulevard, it still does! The west wing of MGM Grand has a stepped-down terrace effect that ends at the re-skinned Marina. I imagine this must've saved them a few million dollars, otherwise, why would they have bothered.  Anyway, I was involved in the opening of MGM Grand in 1993, and still had no idea of this little nugget of information. So, I figured it might be of interest to others.

Read about it here: VegasTodayAndTomorrow

3 comments:

  1. I think I stayed in that old Marina wing a couple years ago. There was a very long walk from the elevator, and halfway there, the hallway suddenly looked different (and dingier). The room had been recently remodeled, but the location was less than desirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intersting information. Seriously, it is something I never knew- good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what you can find when you fall into a Wiki-hole!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...