Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My New TV is DEAD ALIVE!!! (UPDATE)

SOLVED: After a stretch of days of squinting (even with my new glasses) at the 19" flat panel across the room, my 60" TV is once again functional. Though I wasn't happy with the fact that the Mitsubishi WD-60738--which I otherwise love--had its lamp burn out after two months, I'm now satisfied.  If this should happen to you, just be sure to have a receipt of purchase, your model number and your serial number. The lamp ordering page at www.mitsuparts.com is very easy to use. After I filled out the online form, I DID have to scan my receipt, and email it to the parts department. I then had the presence of mind to call them, and make sure that what I sent was adequate. It was. Two days later, the new lamp arrived.

Surprisingly, the lamp comes in a pre-loaded cartridge. Essentially, if you can operate a screw driver, you can do this yourself. Three screws, and a slide-out cartridge. It couldn't be easier. The TV once again is beautiful!


ORIGINAL POST (04/14/11): On this here blog thingy, I chronicled the transformation of my home theater system (TV, stereo and Harmony remote new; cable box, Blu-ray & CD player old). The whole endeavor wasn't outrageously expensive, since I got the stereo at Ultimate Electronics' going out of business sale, the remote on eBay and the TV from one of TigerDirect.com's "open box deals."

An open box deal is a little bit "buyer beware," since the unit has been lightly used, possibly refurbished, possibly "scratch and dent," and possibly missing parts. In my case, there was a tiny scrape on the back of the cabinet, and no manual. So, no big whoop. And the television itself--a Mitsubishi 60738 HDTV DLP--has been the crown jewel of my setup, with a gorgeous, huge picture.

It has not been without its irritations: channel changing takes too long, the cable box menus make the screen go blank for 2-3 seconds between clicks, and worse, the cable box sometimes loses all communication with the television, and must be unplugged or rebooted. Some of that may be the cable company's fault, and there will be no way to be sure until Cox Cable releases a new cable box.

But over the last six weeks, after I ironed out all the kinks, I've been pretty happy with the TV. But today, The Other Half called me at work, semi-whiny, semi-accusey. The TV won't come on, and it has a RED light lit. Hmmmm. I thought (and later confirmed) that the red light meant the lamp was burned out. This is an ordinary occurrence with a DLP TV, a trade-off for the relatively low price. But it usually happens after years, not weeks. Actually, it has been two months to the day.

This is irritating, but it isn't the end of the world, of course. What is more irritating is what I found when I tried to rectify the situation. I perused the TigerDirect website, and found that my TV is covered under the original manufacturer's warranty. Cool. So, I went to Mitsubishi's web site. There, I found out that their parts department is "closed for inventory." They expect to be open this Monday. So, I can't set anything in motion until then. Grumble.

So, as of now, this is just a blog journal about my frustration. I am not angry at TigerDirect, and I'm not angry with Mitsubishi. How this goes after I call them on Monday may change that. I will do an update to this post for anyone who might find it, to used as consumer advice.

The only bright spot is, if I get the runaround and get irritated enough, I can buy my own new lamp on eBay for $75ish. Which is cheaper than profound irritation.

UPDATE I (04/15/11): After calling three local "authorized" repair shops, with no success, I decided to give Mitsubishi's customer service center a try. The operator was friendly, and I wasn't transferred around or anything. But there was a curious delay that was awkward, and a distinctly un-American accent for a Mitsubishi-USA center. No matter, the guy was helpful, and he eventually told me that I was covered, and that Mitsubishi would send me a new lamp in two to three business days! Hazzah!

But not so fast. After he said "may I please to put you on hold for one to two minutes?", he came back on the line and said that their parts department was closed for inventory. I had already told him this. Alas, I will have to start over on Monday. I'm starting to get irritated with Mitsubishi.

UPDATE II (04/19/11): Okay, so I went to work on Monday morning, and I forgot my paperwork. Aarrgh. So, I had to take 40 minutes off, and run home to get it. I logged in to Mitsubishi's parts page upon my return to work, and very quickly completed the order for my lamp. Then I was told, "you aren't done yet!" I had to prove that I had purchased the TV. Hrrmmphhh. Well, I did bring my packing slip with my serial number, so I scanned that and emailed it to Mitsubishi.

Then--while working, you understand, I'm a multi-tasker--I phoned the parts department. After four busy signal tries, I got through. After 10 minutes on hold, I got a live person, and five minutes after that, I had a confirmation that my proof of purchase was adequate.

Upon my return home, I found an email confirmation that the lamp has shipped, and that I should receive it by Wednesday afternoon, April 20. Woohoo! On track. Don't let me down, Mitsubishi!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, man I feel for you. That has to be so frustrating, especially after 2 months. Good luck. See a movie, see a show, get drunk, but no TV for a weekend really sucks, so do something to combat the boredom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do have other TVs, all much smaller of course. In fact, I've plugged in the 19" flat panel from the guest room, and put it in front of the big screen on the left of the TV stand. It's funny, it looks like the Picture-in-Picture, it's so small.

    I'm gonna call around to Vegas repair shops tomorrow, see if they'll fix it and honor the warranty. Beats waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you buy it? Hopefully not best Buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, no, TigerDirect at a huge discount ($699, no tax, no delivery charge). So I should probably stop whining. I'll order the lamp on Monday, I'll have it by next weekend, problem solved. But I'm a liberal, I have to whine. :) Could this in some way be George Bush's fault?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, I would be pretty pissed that no one would help you locally. Especally the place you bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought it from TigerDirect.com at a steep discount. I already knew the warranty would be taken care of by Mitsubishi, so no issue there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man this is brutal. It's hard to believe that so many people still have these kinds of problems. I used to have trouble with my cable company but four years ago I went ahead and canceled out the cable and moved to satellite. I've been a very satisfied DISH customer ever since then., and even started working at one of the call centers about a year ago. I love the number of channels I have with DISH, and their HD selection is the best in the industry, and the lowest all-digital prices nationwide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that Elias is just a spammer, but I'll bite. My cable bill (bundled HDTV DVR/Internet/Digital Phone) is ridiculously expensive. I just talked to Cox about carving away some of my services, or rejiggering the price, but I didn't get anywhere because I recently DID that for 6 months, and heh heh, they REMEMBERED. But I haven't been moved to change to dish. Why?

    Because it entails a sweet deal that blows up months later, like those balloon mortgages. It involves mounting hardware on my house that could become my financial responsibility if I miss a payment. I'd have to sign a multi-year contract, when I have NO idea of what life is going to bring in that time. Also, I have four TV outlets in my home. While two of them go unused most of the time, when I want them, I WANT THEM. I don't want to have to pay for boxes on those sets, but I want them to work. With cable they do.

    Also, as pricey as cable is, they have been extremely responsive when it comes to resolving problems, switching out components (cable box/remotes), changing services on the fly, fixing things with my service while I'm on the phone, WATCHING the settings change on the tv. . .Other than the price, I'm quite satisfied with my service. In fact, I'm going out to switch my cable box to a newer version today. The best part is, I'm not LOCKED IN to anything, for any length of time.

    So there, Mr. Spammer, refute that.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...