Wednesday, December 5, 2007

String Theory: A Knotty Problem


Image from source, Science Daily

I just found this article via AmericaBlog, and I'm appropriating it here for a very personal reason. You see, I'm convinced that the laws of physics are out to get me. OK, convinced is a strong word, but I strongly suspect it.

If I'm reaching for a hanger, it mysteriously will attract all of its cohorts, and I will find myself grasping a hanger mobile. Loose hangers will fall here and there, but the one I wanted will be effectively welded to the mass. Another example would be groceries. No matter how well I pack them into the back of the Jeep, the slightest turn, incline or gentle stop tends to send them sprawling. Usually, something perishable will end up deeply under one of my seats, only to be discovered (much) later.

Everything is like that with me, but strings, hoses, cords and cables are the most nefarious example. No matter how carefully wound and separated, they manage to become a mass of interlocking knots, seemingly all by themselves. Add a few irritating inventions like nozzles, modular plugs or other attachments, and you've got a Gordian Knot.

[Excerpt]

Physicists Tackle Knotty Puzzle

Electrical cables, garden hoses and strands of holiday lights seem to get themselves hopelessly tangled with no help at all. Now research initiated by an undergraduate student at the University of California, San Diego has resulted in the first model of how knots form. . .

Read the article at: Science Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...