Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Featured Eats: G & R Tavern, Waldo, Ohio


As promised, I'm going to institute a few semi-regular features at Greenlee Gazette to help lighten the mood, and space out the political stuff a little bit. Politics is an important part of the blog, but I would like to find a little common ground here and there with people that might not share my view of politics.

I've talked a little about the food I miss here in Las Vegas, being 2,000 miles away from my birthplace in Columbus, Ohio. I've extolled the virtues of Donato's Pizza, my absolute favorite pizza (chain or not). I've also featured Skyline Chili, one of my all-time favorite dishes, which is virtually impossible to find all the way out here in the Pacific Time Zone.

But as regional as those are, there is one item that isn't just hard to find in Vegas, it's impossible. That would be a good fried baloney (bologna) sandwich. If that sounds odd to you, you've never been to Waldo, Ohio. Where's Waldo? Glad you asked!

Waldo, Ohio is a little bitty hamlet just north of Delaware, Ohio, which is itself sort of an exurb north of Columbus. Waldo could easily be missed, if you were journeying north or south on St. Rt. 23, because it sits nestled beneath a freeway overpass. But if you are making the trip, don't miss that off-ramp.

The G & R Tavern is the home of the famous baloney sandwich. It's a rather nondescript place, sort of an old-fashioned bar, crossed with a bowling-alley-type diner. It isn't beautiful, and it doesn't try to be. But it's a slice of Americana, to be sure.

And speaking of slices, the baloney is made special for them, is sliced half an inch thick, and fried up. It's served with sweet pickles, huge slices of onion and cheese, all on a toasty bun. It's 100% artery-clogging goodness. You can find similar sandwiches elsewhere in Waldo (meaning within walking distance), but the G & R is where it became famous.

Be sure to add the phenomenal, huge onion rings for the perfect meal. You'll wreck your diet, but you'll remember it fondly for years. I'm already regretting that I didn't have time for a trek to Waldo on my last visit. I won't make that mistake next time. . .

Special thanks to Roadfood.com for the inspiration and the photos. I have my own photos of the G & R from the last time I visited, but I can't locate them. I will update if I run across them.

1 comment:

  1. Two sets of Great-Great Grandparents and their kids, my Great Grandparents lived and died in Waldo back from....many Houseworths buried in the old Waldo Cemetery...I stop by 2 or 3 times a year to grab a thick sandwich at G&R...great place.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...