Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Romney's Candidacy Makes Mormon-bashing OK?


Photo from CBS News

This editorial, from a Mormon-owned newspaper, laments that "Mormon-bashing" is fair game now that a Mormon is running for President. While Mitt Romney's likelihood of attaining that office is looking more dubious about now, this is certainly a valid topic to write about.

As a non-religious person, I find most religions' core beliefs (and fringe ones, for that matter) kind of nutty. Virgin births, talking snakes, multiple contradictory accounts of the same events. . . There is much to make fun of. And I'll concede that even with that bias, I still find Mormonism nuttier. I'd put it right up there with Scientology and Jehovah's Witnesses for the kooky triumvirate of strange US religions.

I suppose having those beliefs questioned--perhaps even openly mocked--could make a believer a bit testy. But, I'll match the editorial writer's Mormonism with my Agnosticism, and raise him The Gay Thing. I guarantee him, I'll win the "who's made fun of with impunity" battle. . .

[Excerpt]

Better duck — if you're a Mormon

I missed the memo that said it's A-OK to make disparaging and often erroneous statements about Mormons. Apparently, they are fair game.

Sure, these are hypersensitive times, when name-calling or perceived bias against any group will get you the Don Imus treatment, but you get a free shot with Mormons. You can say what you want about them with impunity.

If you denigrate a racial group, you're racist. If you denigrate women, you're sexist. If you denigrate Mormons, you're hip. . .

Read more at: Deseret Morning News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...