Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blast from the Past: My Favorite Oscar Winners

It's Oscar night, so I really should feature movies, right? But invariably, the movies I watch don't win many awards. But I got to pondering, which of my favorites of yesteryear did? And by yesteryear, I meant movies that came out pre-2000. I thought I'd find out. . .





#1 - The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - The very first Best Picture Oscar of my lifetime (1966-present) that I would consider one of my favorites, is this one, believe it or not. Don't get me wrong, many good ones in there, and good nominees. But Jodie Foster' and Anthony Hopkins' thriller is the first one that makes my list.
#2 - Network (1976) - Peter Finch died before he could accept his Best Actor Oscar for his fantastic portrayal of crazed Glenn Beck-like news celebrity, Howard Beale. Amazing movie too, and should have beat Rocky for Best Picture.
#3 - Coal Miner's Daughter (1980) - Sissy Spacek was only known as the psychokinetic/psychotic Carrie when she turned in this Best Actress Oscar-winning performance as Loretta Lynn. It was one of the first movies I went to see on my own.
#4 - Schindler's List (1993) - There aren't a lot of Best Director Oscar winners whose winning films make my list, but this one did. Plus, it finally netted Steven Spielberg an Oscar!
#5 - Ghost (1990) - This movie doesn't make my list in the way that other people might fancy it. It's not my Dirty Dancing or Pretty Woman perfect romance story. I like the evil specters, and especially the humor of Whoopi Goldberg, who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.
#6 - Moonstruck (1987) - Cher won an Oscar for Best Actress in this one, proving her critics wrong once and for all. I originally had Silkwood (1983) in here, until I realized that while it was nominated for a lot of Oscars, it didn't win any.

That's it for now. Happy Monday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...