Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chick-fil-A: I'll Have a Chicken Sandwich with a Side of Jesus

Image from Bilerico.com
Right now, there is a big hub-ub (which I've participated in) about Chick-fil-A, a fast food restaurant with a goofy name. They were vocally political recently, strenuously denouncing gay marriage (and very likely, just gay people) in the press. It has been no secret that the owners of the company were conspicuously religious. In fact, there have been past gay half-hearted boycotts of the place, based on the types of groups the company gave money to.

But, what do I care, right? I've never eaten there in my life, having never lived anywhere where there was one. Besides, I rarely eat fast food, and if I did, there are plenty of other places to get it. I've even been known to frequent In-N-Out Burger on occasion for their protein burger, and they print Bible verses on the wrappers! I don't know why fast food companies would want to be so conspicuously religious, but whatever, right? Yeah, not anymore. I may have no real impact on their bottom line, but I don't have to give money to a company that in turn, spends some of the profits on groups that are out to curtail my civil rights. It's chicken. It just can't be that good.

If you think I'm being silly, take a look at this article from a few years ago from Forbes (not exactly a left-wing rag). As an atheist, I don't think about religion much. But in-your-face, overt religiosity grinds my gears. This might even grind yours.

[Excerpt]


The Cult of Chick-fil-A

At a busy Chick-fil-A in Rome, Ga. Richard Yadkowski keeps a paternal eye on employees squeezing lemons and cooking chicken. Like seven teens who work in his restaurant, Yadkowski, 33, came to Chick-fil-A when he was living in a group foster home created by Chick-fil-A founder and chairman S. Truett Cathy. "I tell the kids, 'This is not just selling sandwiches; it pays for your upbringing,'" says Yadkowski, a hardworking, happily married Southern Baptist who plans to work with Chick-fil-A for life. . .

Read more at: Forbes


3 comments:

  1. I think these protests are silly because they are not going to accomplish anything. If the company is not going to open on Sunday, they really don't care what anyone says about their private views.
    But Chic Fill A does employee people and when politicians say they don't want them in their city, they are just hurting those looking for jobs and lost tax money.
    I didn't know that about In and Out, but then i might be the only person who hates the food at In and Out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might add, did a certain liberal president from Illinois recently have the same view as the Chic Fill A owner? And that certain president only changed his mind during an election year conversion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. The President's views were very, very supportive of gay rights in general. And his "marriage is between a man and a woman" views did NOT extend to outlawing same-sex marriage, or fighting it. A bit different. Plus, most of us realize that Obama's political views on the topic probably "evolved" personally long before it was expressed publicly. George W. Bush triangulated that one too.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...