Sunday, January 13, 2008

Separated at Birth: Obscure Celebrity Edition

For a little insight into how a blog post can make its way from inspiration to publication--or perhaps just into how my brain works--check this out.

I was watching part of season three of my complete Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD set (thanks, Mom!), and there was a character trying to date Buffy named Scott Hope. The actor set off my I know that guy! alarm, but I just couldn't place him. Season three was shot over nine years ago (my GOD), so he could have been in any number of things, right?

I'm a virtual walking encyclopedia of pop-culture knowledge, which is even a less-in-demand skill with these days of instant information on the inter-tubes. But I couldn't place this guy, so I tried IMDB.com (an invaluable source of information), and found him. Fabrizio Filippo, and he played Ethan the fiddle-player on Queer as Folk. Aha! Yeah, I did recognize him, but something still was off--I wasn't thinking of him.

Then, pop-culture kismet smacked me (as it often does), and I by strange coincidence happened upon the website of one Zach Galligan (of Gremlins). Holy smoke! Not twins, mind you, but they could be related, they look so much alike. But strangely, as an older man, Galligan now is starting to resemble David Naughton of American Werewolf in London!

This mode of thought set of a cascade-reaction to earlier realizations. People who look enough alike that they should be cast as relatives. Only problem? These celebrities are so obscure (with one notable exception) they're probably uncastable.

I have noticed these things for years, but can only come up with a couple of them right now. Maybe I'll do a sequel if the others occur to me. Anyway, take a look for the fun of it. Bonus points if you even know who some of them are!




And while we're on the subject, here's my favorite one, used here on the blog many times in the past:

1 comment:

  1. Fab might also be familiar to people as playing Sarah Michelle Gellar's short-term boyfriend on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...