Saturday, May 2, 2009

Jack Kemp, Former VP Hopeful, Dead at 73


Image from source, LA Times

I haven't always been interested in politics. Long before I had a blog, back in 1996, I was working in San Antonio, Texas at an amusement park. I was running a laser tag/motion ride combo with a partner, Chuck, who was very politically-minded. While I was fine with President Clinton, he hated the guy. I got along great with him anyway, because though I disagreed with him, I was not entrenched enough in my political ideology to care much.

But Chuck was all excited about the Presidential race not due to Bob Dole, but because of his running mate, Jack Kemp. The fact that Chuck liked him, and that he had a full head of white hair are literally the only things I recall about Jack Kemp. So, I don't have much to add to this story other than, RIP Jack. And condolences to the family, of course.

[Excerpt]

Jack Kemp, all-star quarterback, politician, father, dead of cancer, 73

Jack Kemp, the all-star college and pro quarterback who went on to serve nine House terms, as secretary of Housing and Urban Development and as Robert Dole's VP running mate on the 1996 Republican presidential ticket, died this evening.

Kemp also ran his own unsuccessful presidential campaign in 1988 against Ronald Reagan's vice president, George H.W. Bush, who would go on to appoint Kemp as his HUD secretary.

Read more at: Los Angeles Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...