Friday, November 16, 2007

Straw Poll on Thom Hartmann Show Still Surprises


Last week, Air America Radio's The Thom Hartmann Program conducted a straw poll, where John Edwards ran away as the clear winner. I expressed my surprise at that, so today I was paying closer attention.

From 11:23 am to 11:30, Hartmann cleared the phone lines, and ran another straw poll. He took calls from all over the country, announcing the area codes of each call. The results were remarkably similar to last week. Here are the results:

John Edwards: 26
Dennis Kucinich: 15
Barack Obama: 7
Hillary Clinton: 4
Joe Biden: 2
Al Gore: 2
Christopher Dodd: 0
Bill Richardson: 0

I still don't know what to make of it. Are Edwards and Kucinich supporters more likely to listen to Thom Hartmann, or just left-wing radio in particular? Kucinich's fans, I can see, but John Edwards'? Or have the other, more sophisticated polls been ignoring a chunk of the country?

I suspect that Hartmann's listeners, if interested enough to participate in a straw poll, are also more likely to participate in actual voting. And like a surprising Tribal Council on Survivor, may lead to dramatically different results than we're expecting.

2 comments:

  1. Really? As an Edwards supporter in the D.C. area, you can't even get Air America on the radio around all the mega stations. So I don't listen, I listen to CSPAN and NPR. Interesting to know though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we don't get Air America Radio in Las Vegas either. I listen on my computer while I'm at work. Check it out if you get a chance, especially Randi Rhodes and Rachel Maddow.

    Air America Radio

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...