Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bomb Parts Passed Airport Screenings


Photo from source, AFP

I just got back from a vacation across the country, and had the now familiar experience with airline security. I now dutifully remove all elements of metal from my body and put it in my carry-on, including my belt, watch, phone, keys and change. I then take off my shoes and jacket, and have them ready to run through the machine. I don't take any fluids (other than those within my body), and I make my effort not to beep when I go through the machine.

I had two direct flights, and followed this routine, but not without incident. On both trips through security, I was detained while the TSA searched my carry-on. They went through everything, from the afore-mentioned items, to my video player, MP3 player and--yes--my cans of Skyline Chili. They even commented on the coconut macaroons I brought back from LaChatelaine in Columbus.

All of that effort wasted, and then we get this:

[Excerpt]

Bomb parts passed US airport screenings: report

US undercover investigators successfully carried bomb-making material across security checkpoints during tests at 19 US airports earlier this year, a government report said Wednesday.

The Government Accountability Office report said agents were able to clear Transportation Security Administration checkpoints with components for making several improvised explosive devices (IED) or an improvised incendiary device (IID).

The two investigators concealed the materials in their carry-on luggage and on their persons. . .

Read the rest at: AFP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...