Sunday, April 6, 2008

Gilda Radner: The Right to Extreme Stupidity

I'm watching a new Saturday Night Live episode at the moment, and it's a rather bland episode. Christopher Walken is hosting for the umpteenth time, and it's just OK. The opening, with Bill and Hillary Clinton (Darrell Hammond and Amy Pohler) and Weekend Update were great, but the rest. . .meh.

But a commercial for SNL clips online lead me to check out NBC.com, for embeddable clips of SNL videos. To my glee, I found my very favorite clip of Gilda Radner, from the classic 1975-1980 cast. In the clip, a rather tame PSA parody about the right to extreme stupidity was made hilarious by guest Candice Bergen's flub of a line, and Gilda Radner's superb save of the bit. It would probably have gone unremembered otherwise. Gilda was always my favorite, and her death ranks up there with Madeline Kahn's for "most tragic early deaths" of celebrities, in my book. Both were a loss to American comedy. As Opus the penguin said in Bloom County, "Gilda Radner isn't supposed to end."

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the great moments in live television... it's just... perfect.

    And anyone who wants to understand why Gilda Radner is so revered by so many will get an idea why by watching this.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...