Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Do Words Matter? Clinton Supporter and the Pansy


Photo from DemocraticGovernors.org

The Governor of North Carolina, Gov. Mike Easley, is a Hillary Clinton supporter, and he introduced her to a crowd today. At one point, he said she makes Rocky Balboa look like a pansy." Now, I'm not up on my Southern colloquialisms. It is possible that there is a parallel meaning to pansy that does not mean gay guy. I'm saying maybe, but I doubt it.

The one thing I'm sure of, is that Hillary Clinton knows what it means. At that particular moment, she had the big wide "beauty pageant" smile on, and it did not falter when he said that--though she took that particular moment to blink. There had to be a "aw, crap" moment in her head, but it barely showed.

Predictably, some people are making a big deal of it. And in truth something should be said. But a federal case need not be made. A general acknowledgement of the oopsie should be made is all. I'm not a fan of pouncing upon every utterance of the candidates or their supporters. It's tedious and kind of stupid. Still, being a bit personally affected by this sort of statement, I'm a bit torn.

See the video here: ABC News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...