Saturday, November 3, 2007

Writers' Strike: Will America Turn Off the TV?

Every fall, I resign myself to the fact that I'm going to be a couch potato for a few months. The combination of early nightfall, and the new TV season causes me to plop into my recliner for a nice hibernation. Every year, I pledge not to get too involved in very many new shows, and every year, I actually get a little better at that. Still, it hasn't stopped me from having something I've just got to watch most evenings.

That may be changing very soon, as a writers' strike is about to hit Hollywood. And it will hit some of the seemingly "unscripted" shows like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and Real Time with Bill Maher soon, because they don't have scripts stockpiled in advance. Do you suppose we'll all get up from our easy chairs, turn off the TV, and do something else?

[Excerpt]

Hollywood Writers Set Strike for Monday

. . .The first casualty of the strike would be late-night talk shows, which are dependent on current events to fuel monologues and other entertainment.

"The Tonight Show" on NBC will go into reruns starting Monday if last-ditch negotiations fail and a strike begins, according to a network official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the person lacked authorization to comment publicly.

Garth Brooks and Tommy Lee Jones were the scheduled guests.

Comedy Central has said "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" would likely go into repeats as well.

A message left seeking CBS comment on plans for "The Late Show with David Letterman" in New York was not immediately returned Friday evening. . .

Read more at: Huffington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...