Friday, April 11, 2008

Science is Cool: What Was Before the Big Bang?


Image from source, Psyorg

This is extra cool to me, because I've always held this theory as my own, and I didn't even know that science had the same idea! As an agnostic, I've often been told that the universe couldn't just have invented itself. "If you find a watch," I'm told, "you wouldn't think it just happened, you'd know there was a maker. So," they continue, "since the universe is so much more complex, it too must have had a creator."

This argument never worked for me. First, even if it held true, it wouldn't point to the existence of the Christian God. Second, it creates an even more complicated step since God, being infinitely more complicated than the universe doesn't have a creator either. If it's so easy to believe that God always existed, why not that the universe always has--in one form or another?

[Excerpt]


Until very recently, asking what happened at or before the Big Bang was considered by physicists to be a religious question. General relativity theory just doesn’t go there – at T=0, it spews out zeros, infinities, and errors – and so the question didn’t make sense from a scientific view. . .

Read more at: Physorg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...