Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Another Liberal Talk Radio Network Bites the Dust?


Photo from source, Phoenix New Times

Damn. I wasn't a fan of On Second Thought radio, not that I had the time to become one. The only program I listened to on the network, The Nancy Skinner Show, was just filler for me in the middle of my listening day (I listen at work via KTLK-AM via my computer). After my favorite program, The Randi Rhodes Show was unceremoniously pulled from the air--under still murky circumstances--the network that ran her show, Nova M Radio, went bust.

It was replaced by On Second Thought, which has only been in existence for a couple of weeks. But yesterday's Nancy Skinner was a re-run, which was very odd given that she's only been around since early February. Now, if the story below is accurate, we know why.

I have to say, my attention to the format has been waning. Not because of lack of interest, but because of lack of talent. I still love The Stephanie Miller Show, but only have the opportunity to hear the last hour or so. Thom Hartmann is great, but his show was always just a whistle-whetter for Randi for me. With the gaping hole in my listening day, I've kind of tuned out, at least figuratively.

While the story below calls the misfortune of liberal talk radio "the curse of Randi Rhodes," I think she might be the only thing that can save the format. After all, it would seem that Nova M and On Second Thought couldn't survive without her. Maybe she and Air America Radio can bury the hatchet, and bring her back. Stranger things have happened in radio.

[Excerpt]

The Curse of Randi Rhodes: Nova M's Successor "On Second Thought" Padlocked in Phoenix

I'd been tipped off that KNUV 1190 AM, formerly the flagship station of the liberal Nova M radio network, and briefly, the home of Nova M's successor network, On Second Thought, had been padlocked. So I had to see for myself, as On Second Thought's driving force, Mike Newcomb, was apparently doing his afternoon show today as usual. At least, that's the way it sounded to someone who's not a regular listener of Newcomb's show. . .

Read more at: Phoenix New Times


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...